Thursday, May 24, 2012

Let Bygones be Bygones

Bygone - a thing dating from an earlier time

I bet you didn't know that phrase had a real meaning!  Well, now you know.  Today I took the GRE, and although I still can't get a grip on if I should be ecstatic about my score, I find that it really does not matter.  I am extremely proud of myself, and how well I did compared to what I was prepared to get, given my dismal history with standardized tests.  I guess the hiatus I took from life to study everyday for 8-10 hours a day paid off! 

Now, back to the good stuff - graphic picture I have accumulated during my path to PA school!

A few weeks back, after fulfilling my duties as DD and driving everyone back to my friend's house, we decided to hang out into the wee hours of the night.  It seems that after 4AM, all filters fly out the window and candidness takes its place.  Somehow, everyone's sordid medical history became the center of conversation.  Even though we had just been introduced less than an hour ago, one guy started telling us all about his cerecum impaction.  Of course, he had a picture of this excised ball of ear wax on his phone.  I insisted that he show me the picture, but at first he didn't take me seriously.  After a bit of coaxing, he relented and gave me permission to post it here on my blog.
Cerumen Impaction

Ceruminous glands are found in the external auditory canal (ear canal).  Their main function is to produce the wax (cerecum) that waterproofs this sensitive area and simultaneously kills bacteria and traps particles.  

A cerecum impaction can occur after an individual uses Q-tips or bobby pins to clean his or her ear.  This is because doing so inadvertently pushes wax too far into the ear canal.  The external auditory canal is rather remarkable at cleaning itself.  So unless you want to fish one of these suckers out of your ear during your next visit to the doctor, you might want to think twice the next time you decide to "clean" your ears! 


No comments:

Post a Comment