Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What's on your mind?

Since December 2011, I have been working at a psychiatric research clinic as a patient care technician.  It all started with a conversation I had last semester with my Biology lab partner.  His explanation of the facility and all characters he encounters got me thinking that maybe I could get some valuable experience by signing myself up.  My experiences at this clinic have really opened my eyes to the work of psychiatry!  



Today, I started my day by learning more about the Central Nervous System in Biology.  The brain is incredible and should be treated with the utmost deference.  It's ability to integrate sensory information in mili-seconds is just astonishing!  With a plethora of neurons and receptors, however, you better believe that something is bound to go wrong from time to time.  When this happens, cognitive dissonance often occurs and the doors of psychiatry are flung open.  After examining a sheep brain in lab, I made my way to the psych clinic.

This job has been great, not only because I am getting valuable work experience that will serve me well when it comes time to apply to graduate school, but also because I have been lucky enough to shadow the Physician Assistant (PA).  The last two days shadowing have corroborated my thoughts of possibly becoming a PA at a psychiatric facility someday.  I know it may be a depressing and often  hopeless field to work in, but the thought of helping someone fight the demons, angels, government spies or torpor that plague their mind fills me with zeal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment